28 Mar 2015

Al Hippone's plaque - short SBS

This is gonna be really quick SBS, mostly photos (some of them not very good, using my phone's camera is much easier but there is always a risk that photo won't  be super sharp),  of how I made my plaque for Al Hippone.

First the idea was to order a plaque from Name It, as I always do. I like their elegant finish, and the fact that I don't have to worry about making them. Unfortunately the font I choosen doesn't really look good, so I decided to get a bit more creative.

Because ot the name I've choosen for my bust, Al Hippone (he has this old time gangster look after all), I decided to go for an old newspaper, preferably something about Al Capone. It would be a nice touch, known only to me, but still. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything in right format (taller than wider) so I went for just a newspaper from the right place and more or less time, and changed it a little.
When, after few unsuccessful attempts, I was happy with the look of the 'front page' I printed good few copies on tracing paper. In works like this I always prepare few copies just in case someting goes wrong, especially when I'm experimenting and can't be sure that I'll be happy with the outcome at the first try.

Next I applied paper tape under first few plaques to make it less transparent, and thicker, more sturdy. After that, I carefuly cut it out using a ruler and hobby knife.
Why even bother with tracing paper and paper tape, why not use normal paper? Thefirst reason is finish you get with the trace paper. It's more sleek than normal paper, and gives a bit more 3D effect due to it's thickness and transparency. And paper tape instead normal paper as and under layer, because tracing paper expands a lot when wet, and the surface gets wrinkly very easily. Besides paper tape is off white, creamy so it looks more like and old paper from the start.
And why did I use tracing paper not printing foil? To keep the paper feel to the plaque. With printing foil everyting would be easier to achieve, but it wouldn't feel like paper.


Now it's time for some weathering. Using only two GW washes (Agrax Earthshade and  Seraphim Sepia) I painted the back of the plaque, again due to the rippling properties of the tracing paper, I was careful not to soak the front, but few stains didn't do too much of a damage.


While  the paper was drying between aplications, the ruler laying on top of it was helping me to keep it more or less straight. It's not really necessary, but for me it was easier  this way.


With the 'back' as dark as I wanted (paint applied from the back still afected the front of the plinth), I just added few thin layers of wash in the corners and the plaques were ready. I was wery carefull not to apply too much of the wash in one go, to avoid wrinkling of the material. Unfortunately, when all was properly dry, I noticed that they are just too dark, especially placed on a black plinth. Below you can see photo of the plaques on white paper and black plinth, hopefully you see the difference (not only in the temperature of light).
 

The easiest way to make the plaque brighter was to add another layer of paper tape. So I just glued it on the back of the plaque and cut out excess of tape carefully.

After that there was just a matter of sticking the plaque to the plinth with use of double sided tape. Again, I glued the plaque to one side of the tape, cut out the excess and then removed the protect layer on the other sinde and glued the plaque to the plinth.


I hope you enjoyed this little SBS, and you find it inspiring in creating your own unique plaques.

cheers
'eM

7 comments:

  1. I watched this being created. Fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your articles. Thank you very much. Write more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. This is very interesting information for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very positive photos. Thank you for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't known if here is the right forum to say this I am very glad for what Prophet Ogbeifun did for me i meant dr ogbeifun through a friend he helped win a court case of divorce few months ago and when i contacted him he help me to cast a death spell on my mother inlaw who was really troubling my life and future, she never wanted my progress, each time I get a job from a company, I get drove back because of the witch craft mother inlaw I have, I never knew my mother inlaw was the one troubling me, until one day I contacted Dr Ogbeifun for help and he told me Justine my mother inlaw is the one troubling me and he help me to cast unto her a death spell. I am happy because the evil doer is dead and ever since then my life have turn around for good things now work fine for me and am now a happy living beautiful with my family, thanks to Dr Ogbeifun. i recommend you to dr Ogbeifun if you have any kind of problem he will help you restore your marriage life back again. contact him via email ogbefunhearlingtemple@gmail.com or call/whatsapp him via +2348102574680  

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very happy day of my life with the help Dr Larry has rendered to me by helping me to get my divorce husband back with his magic power and love spell. i was married for 8 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me, and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr Larry email on the internet on how he help so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has change totally for good he started begging me to forgive him that he is very sorry for everything, i was really surprised and was also happy, so that was how i forgive him and now we are living together happily than ever before and He always want to be by me and can not do anything without my present. i am really happy with my marriage, what a great celebration. thank you to Dr Larry who helped me a lot, if you need his help you can contact him through email assurancesolutionhome@gmail com Website http://assurancesolutionhome.website2.me/ call or WhatsApp +2348102316854





    This is a very happy day of my life with the help Dr Larry has rendered to me by helping me to get my divorce husband back with his magic power and love spell. i was married for 8 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me, and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr Larry email on the internet on how he help so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has change totally for good he started begging me to forgive him that he is very sorry for everything, i was really surprised and was also happy, so that was how i forgive him and now we are living together happily than ever before and He always want to be by me and can not do anything without my present. i am really happy with my marriage, what a great celebration. thank you to Dr Larry who helped me a lot, if you need his help you can contact him through email assurancesolutionhome@gmail com Website http://assurancesolutionhome.website2.me/ call or WhatsApp +2348102316854

    ReplyDelete